VAT Project Accountant - Pension fund
- Project manage of all accounting, reporting, compliance matters relating to the pending VAT registration of the client
- Maintenance of the Change management, communications and implementation plans.
- Design, test and implementation of changes to finance processes and accounting system to enable VAT reporting.
- Training of Financial Reporting and Transactions Accounting teams to ensure all process changes are understood and embeded in BAU activity.
- On-going review and compliance of all process changes to ensure these are fit for purpose and deliver accurate VAT reporting.
- Undertake all matters in connection with VAT compliance including submission of periodic VAT returns.
- Liaise with tax advisors (PwC) and HMRC to implement 'partial expemtion’ rules for VAT reporting including system changes to facilitate such reporting.
- Provide regular updates to finance team and the Project Sponsor (Director of Finance).
- Ensure Finance policies and procedures are updated to ensure that all process and system changes are fully documented.
- Provide expert business support for all matters relating to VAT accounting and compliance.
- Play an active part within the Finance team to ensure cohesive working across the department is maintained. Encourage a continuous improvement environment within the team.
- Design, test and implementation of all process and system changes in connection with VAT accounting. Including configuaration of SAGE 200 general ledger and accounts payable systems to facilitate reporting.
- Implementation of 'partial exemption’ rules for VAT reporting.
- Completion of periodic VAT returns in a timely and accurate manner, including all related corresponadnce with HMRC
- Liasion with HMRC on VAT audits and resolution of all related queries and implementation of any audit recommendations.
- Design and implement internal management reporting to ensure on-going monitoring of VAT compliance. Including all internal controls and reconcilation procedures.
- Support Finance team with external auditors (National Audit Office) and internal auditors (EY) in their audits, ensuring all requests for information and actions are completed.
- Lead delivery of high quality VAT accounting and reporting processes ensuring that all internal and external stakeholders have has access to VAT information they need.
- Engage with EY as internal auditors to present and seek approval of all process and system changes.
- As prioirties allow this role will be expected to contribute to other Financial Reporting Team activities.
Relationships & autonomy
- This role will need to have the confidence to interact with the finance team, department heads and Executive team members.
- This role will need to build and maintain strong working relationships with the finance team to be successful.
- Ability to represent the client professionally and appropriately with key external stakeholders e.g. PwC, HMRC, NAO and EY.
- Working closely with the Transaction Manager, Financial Reporting Manager, the internal IT department and external IT providers to deliver the system and process changes needed to ensure the client is compliant with all VAT legislation.
- Working closely with the finance & procurement colleagues and the rest of the company to embed effective internal controls for new VAT processes.
- Working closely with finance and procurement colleagues to raise VAT awareness within the company.
Experience and technical skills
The employee will be able to demonstrate the following experience and technical skills:
- Post qualification experience of VAT accounting with ability to develop new processes to deliver all VAT Reporting
- Strong process change skills will be required to ensure effective delivery of project.
- Strong accounting skills with the ability to look at issues from first principles to help the design and implementation of changes to the accounting processes and system.
- Experience of communicating credibly and confidently with senior management and auditors.
- Experience of delivering change by training and developing people and processes effectively.
- Experience of overseeing, managing and mitigating financial risks.
- Strong problem solving skills.
Personal attributes required
The role will require someone with the following personal attributes:
- Adaptable to a changing and challenging environment by applying accumulated experience and business acumen.
- Strong advocate of finance and financial controls and able to demonstrate accuracy and diligence with the ability to be autonomous.
- Ability to work with, motivate and develop others through a period of change as a basis for a strong team dynamic going forward.
- Ability to communicate clearly at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to enhance processes and controls - focus on continuous improvement is essential.
- Positive and proactive attitudes; able to work on own initiative and relishes new challenges with a drive to secure a successful outcome
- Delivery focused approach to work and able to priorities high volumes of work/challenges.
Education, qualification and professional membership requirements
- Full accountancy qualification is required (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, etc.).
- Good understanding of the International Financial Reporting Standards, Government Financial Reporting Manual and Managing Public Money