Head of Finance - £45k to £50k
We are looking for someone on an interim basis of about 3 months, with a possible view to a permanent role, within a reputable society within central London.
A suitably qualified and experienced individual is required to manage the Finance Team (2 people) and to provide assurance to the Director of Finance & Operations that the financial transactions and accounts of the Society are being handled and controlled in an organized, timely and efficient manner.
The post-holder will head up all day to day financial activities including: management of receipts and payments, accruals and prepayments, bank reconciliation, payroll, tax and other statutory returns, preparation of management accounts and preparation of financial accounts. The Head of Finance will be responsible for setting and monitoring work-plans for the Finance Team and ensuring that the Society’s financial systems and controls are used and adhered to in an appropriate manner.
- £45k to £50
- Interviews: Will take place Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of next week
- Start: Immediate
- Duration: This will be a 3-month contract, whilst they recruit for a permanent person, which the interim postholder will be invited to apply for if they wish.
- Location: Central London
- Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm (can be a little flexible)
- Software: Sage 200 (being rolled out next week), Excel, Word and Outlook
- TYpe of organisation: Charitable Society
- Organisation Head count: 56 in total
DUTIES TO INCLUDE:
- Management of financial processes (purchase and creditor payment, payroll, sales/ fee income and debtors, cash management);
- Ensuring completeness and accuracy of the Society’s computerized financial systems in a timely and efficient manner (including reconciliation of key accounts on a regular basis);
- Ensuring compliance with financial regulations and controls - including those set by the Society and those determined by legal and regulatory bodies;
- Documentation and improvement of existing financial controls;
- Maintenance of an ongoing review of financial processes and controls, to ensure that they remain efficient, effective and fit for purpose;
- Preparation of budgets, forecasts and cash-flow statements;
- Compilation of monthly management accounts;
- Providing financial advice and guidance to staff within the Society on both a regular and ad hoc basis;
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts and financial statements (in conjunction with the Director of Finance & Operations, external auditors and other staff);
- Completion of tax and other statutory returns (including VAT).
- Allocation of work (setting targets, monitoring of progress, devising contingencies for situations where deadlines cannot be met);
- Staff discipline;
- Recruitment (advertising, shortlisting, interviewing and selecting) and staff development (identification of development needs, determination of appropriate training, monitoring of training effectiveness).
- Representation of the Finance Team at internal management meetings;
- Provision of advice and guidance to staff and others who may not be experienced in financial matters;
- Deputizing for the Director of Finance & Operations as required.
- Full professional accounting qualification (ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, etc).
- At least 2 years’ experience of working within an Accounts Team, Finance Office, Accountancy Office or similar function;
- At least 12 months’ managerial or supervisory experience of teams of more than 2 staff
- Evidence of sufficient accounting knowledge to carry out control account reconciliations.
- Show an up-to-date knowledge of accounting standards and regulations;
- Demonstrate an attention to detail, logical decision-making and a high degree of accuracy in respect of numerical skills;
- Progress and develop working relationships with senior managers and other staff across the Society;
- Progress and develop working relationships with external bodies and institutions;
- Demonstrate an ability to prioritize own work and that of others in order to meet deadlines;
- Communicate confidently with people at all levels (both verbally and in written form).