Materials Buyer - Civil Engineering & Infrastructure
Our client a regional sub contract civil engineering contractor is seeking a civils buyer to join their team based in the North East of England.
The company specialise in Roads and Sewers, Infrastructure Works, Land Remediation, Bulk Earthworks, Structural Concrete and Sub-structure works including foundations, drainage, external works and Hard landscaping. Whilst this will be an office based role our client undertakes such works for a number of medium and large construction companies in North East & Yorkshire.
We are seeking applicants that have a proven background specifically within the Construction & Built environment ideally with knowledge of construction materials and sub-contract buying. Applicants which have also excelled in this line of work have come from a construction material supplier background (Building merchants) as they have a strong knowledge of the materials used in the undertaking of civil engineering projects.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
• Process & manage material, plant & subcontract requisitions ensuring
regular contact with suppliers & site personnel.
• Research and offer alternative products & services to increase company
• Negotiate on-going cost reductions with suppliers and update
department systems and databases accordingly.
• Establish new & maintain existing relationships with suppliers.
• Resolve queries quickly & effectively.
• Liaise with estimating, surveying & account departments as and when
• Support development of department procedures to increase overall
• Monitor and report buying price vs tender price deviations.
• Hold regular supplier meetings to develop relationships, manage credit
facilities and improve supplier base.
• Support the day to day running and management of the department in
line with company procedures.
• Oversee and manage the department in the absence of senior
• Any other duties or responsibilities which do not change the character
or purpose of the post but which are necessary to support the effective
and efficient operation of the Purchasing Department.
This role offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as clear line of progression within the company.
For more information on this role please contact David Fletcher of CDM Recruitment