Forecasting and Hedging Analyst (retail energy)
Role: Forecasting and Hedging Analyst (retail energy)
Location: Central Birmingham
Salary: £25 - £50K - DOE (could be either a junior or senior role)
A new residential supplier - part of a larger group - based in Central Birmingham are looking for a Forecasting and Hedging Analyst. This is an ideal opportunity for someone with some experience in retail demand forecasting or hedging to be involved from the beginning with a start-up energy supplier, taking a lead in developing gas and electricity demand forecasts, designing and implementing hedging strategies and supporting trading and risk measurement activity. The Forecasting and Hedging Analyst will need to be both analytical and commercial, with a good grasp of factors impacting domestic customer behaviour, risk and hedging principles and having an interest in the traded markets.
- Working with key stakeholders to develop short and long-term gas and electricity demand forecasts for domestic customers.
- Develop reporting of forecasting performance, suggest improvements and lead on changes.
- Support the design and implementation of new hedging strategies for customer segments
- Work with Propositions team to ensure opportunities and risks of new customer offerings are understood, properly managed and clearly reported.
- Execute agreed trading strategies from long-term to imbalance, identify potential new strategies and mitigate downside risk to the business.
- Support development of risk reporting and metrics for decision-making by management
Skills and Experience
- Good understanding of gas and electricity forecasting processes and factors affecting customer demand.
- Demand forecasting/hedging and risk management principles and practical applications.
- Knowledge of the gas and electricity traded markets.
- Sound commercial judgment and ability to identify commercial opportunities
- Able to work on your own and use the guidance of peers to deliver effective models.
- Able to consider large volumes of data and explain potential effects to a varied audience.
- Graduate or graduate calibre in maths, engineering or other analytical disciplines.
- Analytical with good Excel/VBA skills.
- Good communication skills able to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders