Head of Technical Product Development
Salary quoted does not include bonuses this will be discussed in interview, there is allso a car allowance offered
As the Head of TechnicalProduct Development, you will be responsible for the technical delivery of all our clients products. As a department head, you will be required to define product development processes, policies, objectives and quality benchmarks and seek to ensure all development projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with them.
You will be required to demonstrate expertise in a variety of disciplines, practices, and procedures particularly in relation to plastics, electronics, mechanical engineering and software as they apply to high volume consumer electronics products.
You will also have a prominent role in defining the company’s product roadmap. You and your team will work hand in hand with other departments to define the product vision, and then assume ownership of the product through to delivery.
- Develop, lead and manage a team of engineers and developers. This will include line management responsibilities for recruitment, performance management, training, etc.
- Drive the strategic direction of product development, including the assessment of new technologies, techniques and processes
- Work with Product Management and other internal stakeholders to create and manage a development strategy that supports the product roadmap. This should include consideration for re-usability, low cost components, API development, platform management, IP management, R&D funding opportunities, etc.
- Own technology and manufacturing decisions for new and existing products based on established engineering best practice and communicate these clearly to the rest of the organisation
- Set-up and develop environments, processes and ways of working that support the objectives of the development strategy
- Lead development feasibility studies and proof of concepts and present the results alongside business case reviews
- Manage resourcing and work estimation of projects in collaboration with the project manager and in-line with product development priorities
- Establish quality and performance measures in order to monitor and improve process and development execution
- Provide mentoring and coaching support across all disciplines within the team
- Facilitate standardisation and engineering best practice where appropriate within a framework that encourages innovation
- Review and approve engineering drawings and DFM before tooling
- Promote a policy of peer review and technical challenge within the team to test technical boundaries and engineering preconceptions thus promoting innovation
- Issue regular reports detailing development status, performance, resourcing and quality
- Assess new technologies and processes and communicate recommendations to management
- Authorise technical specifications and own the review process
- Review and Approve product reliability documentation and testing
- Act as an escalation point and manage issue resolution
- Champion innovation and manage the assessment and adoption of new technologies.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- 8+ years experience managing consumer electronics product development teams with a strong background in Engineering
- Good BSc degree qualification in a related engineering subject, ideally Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- A track record of experience with Contract manufactures, Mould making facilities and manufacturing.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and effectiveness working closely and managing engineers using agile software development methodologies
- Understanding of Emerging technologies in manufacturing and engineering
- Proficient in sketching and communicating ideas visually. CAD software package literate. (E.g. Solidworks)
- Additional vocational or occupational qualifications a distinct advantage
- Demonstrable competency and experience in consumer electronics product design either as an Electronic or Mechanical engineer; experience working with sensors technologies (including GPS, RF, IMUs)
- Ability to interpret technical information presented in technical literature, mathematical notation or diagrammatic form
- Significant experience working in a management capacity in a fast-paced entrepreneurial technology based business
- Ability to establish process and lead a team to ensure quality objectives are fulfilled
- Strong leadership based on credible technical knowledge and experience
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Demonstrated ability to develop repeatable processes or improve existing processes in and out of product development
- Open and collaborative style, must be comfortable working in and promoting an environment where ideas and concepts are reviewed and challenged
- Excellent written and verbal skills and capable of communicating with non-technical team members
- High level of maturity, strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with partners and trust, demonstrated success being able to work collaboratively within small teams, and to work independently