Our client an independent firm of chartered accountants are seeking an experienced book-keeper.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for managing the bookkeeping and VAT work for a portfolio of clients to ensure VAT Returns/EC Sales lists are filed with HMRC on time and will also assist the audit team with their queries during the preparation of the year end accounts.
Office based, but the role will include some travel to client’s premises. Most clients are London based.
The Bookkeeper will report to the Partners of our client.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Sales, purchases and nominal ledger management
- Inter-Company transactions / recharges / reconciliation
- Petty cash and expenses management
- Reconciling bank and credit card statements
- Dealing with currency / international payments and claims
- Review debtors / creditors for old or negative balances and adjust as necessary
- VAT reconciliation
- Wages transactions and reconciliation of salaries and wages control accounts
- Preparation and filing of clients’ VAT Returns and EC Sales Lists from the accounting records supplied
- Producing financial reports and management information
- Liaison with Auditors regarding year end statutory accounts
- Carrying out assignments to agreed timetable and budget
- Ensuring that each bookkeeping file has completed and up to date "VAT Notes" at the front of the file
- Keep up to date with relevant technical material
The bookkeeper may be required to help out with other functions as and when required, in particular internal bookkeeping and financial control functions.
At least 1-2 years experience as a bookkeeper
- Good knowledge of Sage Line 50 or equivalent software such as Xero, CCH Central, Quickbooks, etc.
- Competence in basic computer programmes, in particular Word, Excel and Microsoft Outlook.
- Solid working knowledge of debits and credits in an accounting framework
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills - ability to develop effective relationships with team members and clients
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a professional manner
- Self-confidence (in particular when dealing with clients by telephone or in person)
- Good time management, organisational and planning skills - ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines