Software Engineer Chinese Speaker
Software Engineer - Infrastructure & Operations
My client, a global powerhouse within the Media and Publishing industry, is looking for a Software Engineer to join their team in London on a permanent basis.
One of my client's most important markets is China, where they will be working closely with the product and engineering team on the ground. They're seeking a Mandarin speaking engineer to support that process.
This is a new international team, with the opportunity to help define what they ship and how they ship it. You'll get a rare look at digital publishing around the world. You'll be working with experienced folks in product, data and UX who have done this before. And you'll have a leadership team that gets it, a clear strategy to execute on and the freedom to get on with it your way.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Ship code that works and makes users happy.
- Own your features from backlog to deployment and beyond.
- Build well-documented services used by teams worldwide.
- Move fast, and shout when something is in your way.
- When you have to, ask for forgiveness, not permission.
- Know that understanding your users isn't someone else's job.
- As part of the core platform team, own the success of our products.
- Work closely with our colleagues in China and assist in communication between our teams.
Essential Skills & Requirements
- Native or fluent proficiency in Mandarin and full professional proficiency in English.
- Experience with AWS, Git, node.js, MongoDB and Redis.
- A degree in a journalism or computer science related field.
- Experience in a fashion related role a plus.
- Know the web. Front end performance, caching strategies, progressive enhancement, hipster frameworks, etc.
- Have a passion for fashion.
- Ideally, be happy to work across the whole stack. Of course, everyone has their specialisms.
- Experience with React and node.js is a plus, but we're not wedded to anything.
- Know your way around AWS.
- Experience working with editorial teams is great. As is a passion for the future of journalism, and a healthy distaste for 3rd party ad-tech.
- Experience writing systems operating in multiple regions and languages a plus.
- Experience writing one-time scripts to pull gross data from creaky old databases a plus. #kiddingnotkidding
- If you've built an API-centric CMS before, or something similar, that will come in handy.
- Know how to be lean, and do good work without a ton of process. Dislike meetings, but know when they're handy.
Huntress does not discriminate on the grounds of 'protected characteristics' as defined under the Equality Act and other relevant UK legislation.
Huntress acts as a Recruitment Agency in relation to all Permanent roles and as a Recruitment Business in relation to all Temporary roles.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.