Payroll Manager - Firm of Chartered Accountants
- Manage and take responsibility for the Guildford portfolio of payroll clients, including allocation of jobs and monitoring of capacity issues within the team. Look after a portfolio of own clients from the Guildford portfolio, including processing their payrolls.
- Handle smooth handover and take-on of clients transferring from other offices, or other accountants or for new start-up companies.
- Managing staff, including any problems arising / client issues / problems on payroll matters.
- Ensuring that developments in payroll related matters are monitored and reacted to.
- Assist the National Head of BOS department with marketing and promoting our payroll services and business development opportunities.
- Preparation of quotes for prospective clients.
- Handling engagement letters and Anti-Money Laundering procedures for new payroll clients won.
- Assess how Monthly Payroll Processing Checklist and Controls should be updated to mitigate future errors arising which are highlighted through the preparation of the quarterly Payroll Risk Register documents.
- Ensure we have engagements letters on all client payroll files.
- Maintain New client wins and Lost client list for Guildford and send to National Head of Business Outsourcing by the 4th of every month.
- Chair the monthly National Payroll Managers’ meeting, discussing topics such as resourcing, problems, legislative amendments affecting payroll, solutions to matters, etc.
- Review Work-In-Progress (WIP) for payroll clients on a monthly/quarterly basis to assess whether billing, provisioning or fee renegotiation is required.
- Responsible for updating the Payroll manual, as considered appropriate, following consultation with the payroll teams in the other offices.
- Monitor that the Guildford payroll team complies with the Payroll manual & procedures in place.
- Responsible for setting up Technical training sessions, with external training organisations, to ensure all payroll staff across the offices are kept up to date with developments affecting our payroll service.
- Ability to take the lead in maintaining and developing client relationships.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness by ensuring work is carried out at the appropriate level and location.
- Work collaboratively with peers in the team and across the firm.
- Promote a working environment where good performance is openly acknowledged and performance issues are dealt with fairly and consistently.
- Mentor and support payroll staff members as required.
- Monitor and review team progress to make sure that tasks and projects are completed according to plan, adjusting priorities as necessary.
- Ability to absorb changes in regulations and implement them into working practices for both yourself and the team.
- Ability to manage peak work times in payroll processing, with the expectation of meeting all deadlines.
- Work experience in sector is primary requirement.
- Relevant qualifications are preferable.
- Current knowledge of developments in the payroll sector.
- Simultaneous management of multiple payrolls.
- Experience of allocating work within a team and monitoring staff progress.
- Experience of taking on new payrolls.
- Ability to be the client’s main point of contact.
- Experience of managing people.
- Enthusiasm to grow the department and develop the role.
- Preferably experience of acting in a practice environment dealing with external clients, but not essential for the right candidate.