Underwriting Team Manager
Overall Purpose of Job
To ensure effective processing of all mortgage applications, through management & monitoring of the underwriting team. To ensure all financial, quality, regulatory, responsible lending and service requirements are maintained through effective oversight on a daily basis. To identify & implement operational efficiencies and services across the department to improve processing time while maintaining quality.
- Lead, manage and motivate the team to ensure SLA’s & KPI’s are achieved on a daily, weekly & monthly basis..
- To deliver effective performance management across the whole team to include documented 121’s & team meetings on a monthly basis.
- Development of the team by motivating and building their skill sets through coaching, training & effective development plans to drive results, support retention & identify succession planning.
- Proactively identify, manage and support departmental improvement & change to reduce processing times, improve service while ensuring quality of decision making while working with Key Stakeholders.
- Support the team with sign offs’ and underwriting when required.
- Provide deep underwriting knowledge for the team with regard to Lending Policy & Procedures. Act as a point of expertise to the team, advising on technical, product, policy, procedural and customer issues.
- Ensure the highest quality of underwriting through regular review of controls, monthly audits & effective feedback/ action with underwriters
- To ensure that all complaints are handled in accordance with the Complaints Handling Procedures referring to Service Quality Department as and when appropriate
- delivery of any changes to the system or processes
- Ensure responsibilities regarding Treating Customers Fairly, the Prevention of Financial Crime (including money laundering, identification and reporting of fraud) are carried out effectively and in accordance with the Company’s internal policies.
- To ensure that all team members are trained so that all complaints are correctly identified and actioned in accordance with the Complaint Handling Procedures.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills
- Communication and influencing skills
- Leadership , Coaching & Development experience
- Business & market awareness including strong regulatory knowledge
- Ability to analyse and provide accurate MI & performance measures
- Ability to assess and mitigate risk within the team and process including complaint handling and audit requirements
- Ability to competently use all the systems relevant to the role
- Ensure key business targets and performance indicators are achieved
- Experience in Underwriting essential, having experience of BTL & packager lending
- Telephone experience including complaint handling essential
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in people management within a Financial Services environment
- Having held a Senior 1st Mortgage Underwriting Mandate for a minimum of 3 years.
- CeMAP/CeRCC (Preferable, if not a willingness to train to obtain)