Senior Infrastructure Engineer
IT Managed Services Provider urgently seeks experienced Senior Infrastructure Engineer to maintain and provide 3rd line cover for our clients’ diverse range of Windows and VMware infrastructures. Opportunities for technical leadership in IT design and implementation also available. A rewarding and varied role in a small and friendly team for the candidate with compatible business values.
Who are we?
- Sensical is a small and fast-growing IT consultancy and managed services provider based in the City of London.
- Despite targeting doubling the size of the company every year we maintain our founding principles with a passion for doing things right and providing absolutely the best quality.
- Our happy customers are small and medium sized organisations (SMEs) mainly in financial services and other sectors that appreciate a level of expert advice, reliability of systems and quality support that is a cut above the average.
- We are a friendly close-knit and supportive team of experts.
1. Designing and implementing IT infrastructure solutions:
- Attending customer meetings, collecting requirements, proposing and exploring solutions.
- Creating and documenting solution designs with guidance from the Chief Architect.
- Working with internal staff and customers and managing suppliers to implement solutions.
- Preparing support documentation and providing training to facilitate handover of solutions in to the support team.
2. Infrastructure management - aka "ownership" of parts of internal and/or clients’ infrastructures with continual responsibility to:
- Create / maintain comprehensive and accurate documentation. Train the more junior technical support teams to ensure efficient support and reduce escalations.
- Ensure suitable monitoring is in place, carry out capacity planning and regular maintenance.
- Capacity planning. Identify infrastructure risks and opportunities.
- Carry out regular maintenance activities.
3. 3rd line infrastructure support:
- Act as a point of escalation for the technical support team for infrastructure related queries. Resolution of issues within SLAs including liaising with 3rd party suppliers where necessary.
- On-call 1 week out of every 4 from Friday 17:30 to Friday 17:30. Expected 6 call outs per year on average for each Senior Engineer.
4. Some pre-sales support.
Essential skills and experience
We are seeking a high calibre individual who possesses the following mind-set, skills and experience:
- 5+ years working at a senior level in IT infrastructure
- Expert level Microsoft Windows infrastructure knowledge and experience (MCSA/MCSE level)
- Detailed knowledge and experience of working with all MS Windows Server OSs, Active Directory & Group Policy
- Extensive knowledge and experience of all MS Windows Client OSs
- Microsoft Exchange 2010/2013/2016 especially in on premise clustered/DAG environments
- Windows Networking, DNS, DHCP, NPS etc
- Virtualisation: VMware vCentre
Highly desirable skills and experience
- MS RDS, Citrix ZenDesktop
- MS System Center, SCCM
- MS Exchange, MS Office 365
- MS IIS
- Monitoring systems
- Storage Networking, Storage Arrays, FC, iSCSI
- Networking and VoIP experience (although dedicated networking engineers exist in the team)
- Highly motivated, a natural seeker of ownership and responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work with a wide variety of people of different technical knowledge and able to mentor junior staff.
- Excellent customer manner, recognising that the customer is always right.
- A quick study, with the desire to learn new technologies on the job.
- Strong analytical skills, able to break-down and solve complex problems, with experience of operating at 3rd line support level.
- Naturally curious and passionate about IT, interested in finding elegant solutions to complex problems, with experience of preparing or providing input into the preparation of solution designs.
- Able to organise and lead the delivery of multiple complex streams of work, able to prioritise effectively.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to document complex configurations to a high standard.
Compensation and benefits
- Flexible working hours.
- Pension scheme.
- Training and relevant ongoing certification.
- Friendly and flexible working environment, in a company that focuses on delivering excellence.
- Work closely with a group of passionate experts.
- Exposure to a vast range of technologies.
- Have your ideas valued and see the fruits of your labour.
- Ability to work with a broad set of clients, each in key market verticals.
- Opportunity to excel in both leadership and technical excellence.
- Growth routes through to technical specialist / architect or management.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Be able to communicate fluently.