Senior Network and Systems Engineer (2nd/3rd Line)
We are looking for a permanent Senior Network and systems engineer who can technically contribute to the full range of skills involved in third line support to critical systems with a minimum of 5 yrs. commercial experience. This role is to work in the operations team to install, support, maintain and develop all the Networks and servers plus external sites & Internal Support Infrastructure. This will involve customer’s sites and visiting them occasional throughout the year or doing installs.
Outline of Routine Tasks/Duties/Responsibilities
• Changing, Adding ACL’s
• Managing Clusters
• Resolving /reported faults escalated via Front Line support teams within tight SLA's.
- Resolving reported tickets through the internal logging system.
• Liaising with Customers and internal Support groups during fault investigations to expedite a speedy resolution, demonstrating a high degree of professionalism at all times.
• Liaising with Third Party suppliers according to procedures and contractual requirements.
• Planning and implementing IOS/Firmware updates across a wide range of Customers & manufacturers equipment.
• Performance and Capacity planning of Network Infrastructure components.
• Maintaining Hardware & Software platforms at optimum performance.
• Implementing and maintaining VPN and private infrastructures.
• Implementation and Maintenance of any proprietary tools and/or security requirements.
• Attending sites to carry out tasks ranging from routine to high risk/impact subject to the appropriate skills/training.
• Provide advice and consultancy within the area of Networks and associated technologies, acting as the expert within Central Services.
• Developing remote diagnostic and contingency procedures for critical Customers access covering 24 / 7 x 365 days.
• Carrying out audits of kit at base.
- Provide technical reports and proposals as required by Management within stated deadlines.
• Maintain clear and precise documentation on Customer Infrastructures and cabling diagrams to assist accurate diagnosis and reporting.
• Participate in a on call rota.(not setup yet)
- Keep up-to-date with all the latest developments in hardware/software and propose/apply such Technology where support benefits can be gained
- Be conversant with the Applications and Infrastructures as well as Data security. Useful to have but not essential for this role
• Cisco CCNA CCNP, Routing & Switching, Security certification
• Cisco IOS, Routers and switches (including Vlans and spanning tree)
• Network Management Systems e.g. Nagios
• Sound knowledge/troubleshooting of TCP/IP including use of packet sniffers
• Cisco Load balancing
• Cisco Catalyst switch
• Cisco ASA/PIX firewalls, Cisco IPS/IDS and IPSEC/PPTP VPNs.
• Server load-balancing, preferably using Cisco ACE or similar
• TCP/IP protocols - TCP/IP, NLB, DNS, DHCP & SNMP
• Firewalls including Checkpoint, Nokia, ASA and PIX
• WAN and routing protocols - ISDN, ADSL, BGP, OSPF, IGRP and EIGRP
• Cabling infrastructures and design
• Network Analysis tools e.g. Fluke network monitors
• LAN Configuration/management NAT and PAT
• VPN Technologies
• Redhat Linux administration including scripting (bash awk etc.)
• Apache HTTPD and Tomcat servers
• Documentation & Visio skills for comprehensive Infrastructure designs
• ITIL Foundation certification - useful
• Cisco CCNP accreditation or working to
• Network Analysis tools e.g. Fluke Optiview, Etherscope, Solarwinds Engineers Toolkit
• NetFlow, Cisco IP SLA and Cisco EEM
• Project experience