Senior Infrastructure Consultant
TITLE OF POST: Senior Infrastructure Consultant
SALARY: £45-50k Basic plus bonus and benefits
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Services
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB: To provide problem analysis and support to our internal and external customer base and help determine customer needs; to install, maintain, operate, and configure computer hardware and software both internally and on customer sites; and to provide a variety of technical duties as required.
This is a combined role resulting in the gaining of experience in all areas of the business in the company solution areas.
Employees within this area are expected to work independently and use their own initiative. They perform the full range of duties required in providing solutions to our customer base. This includes evaluating customer needs, installing new computers and software, and troubleshooting computer problems. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the company. They are expected to keep abreast of developments within the IT industry and are involved in the evaluation of relevant new technologies as they become available.
Main Duties and Responsibilities: Essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Increase customer satisfaction by delivering high-quality consulting services on time and on budget.
- Work with our technical architects to implement and deploy leading edge technologies to our customer base.
- Identify opportunities to develop solutions for our customers.
- Assist in the delivery of successful leading edge proof of concept and early adopter projects.
- Proactively transfer product skills and knowledge to customers as part of the project engagement process.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to non technical audiences.
- Ability to address customer business requirements with effective solutions.
- Ability to effectively estimate the effort required to deliver results and to correctly set customer expectations.
In addition to the above duties and responsibilities the post holder must be prepared to undertake such additional duties which may result from changing circumstances, but which may not of necessity change the general character or level of responsibility to the post.
Please note that this job description is subject to ongoing review as new demands and best working practices are considered, agreed and implemented.
Skills and qualities required:
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience of VMware ESX server platforms
- Experience of installing and configuring Exchange Server - 2003, 2007, 2010
- Experience of EMC SAN solutions; Installing, configuring and troubleshooting
- Experience of installing and configuring high level Citrix Solutions
- Experience of installing and configuring Windows 2008
- Experience of installing and configuring ISA Server and TMG 2010
- Experience of Microsoft SQL Server and/or SharePoint and/or MOM to latest version
- Experience of installing and supporting wide-area networking equipment or other communications equipment.
- Experience of computer security systems and knowledge of the products currently available.
- Experience of working with Novell Netware, UNIX or other non-Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge and experience of the principles and methods of computer configuration and operations.
- Knowledge and experience of designing complex technical solutions
- A sound knowledge of general networking principles and TCP/IP
- Knowledge and experience of the principles of data communications standards and implementation
- A sound working knowledge of PC and Server hardware including DELL and HP, SUN, XP and Windows 7
- Familiarity with desktop operating systems and a variety of application software.
- Knowledge and experience in formal project management and service delivery best practice procedures.
Education and Qualifications, one or more of the following:
- VMware qualifications
- Citrix qualifications
- EMC qualifications
- Microsoft qualifications, MCSE or higher
- Cisco qualifications, CCNA or higher
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and to work to meet targets.
- Excellent customer facing and telephone skills.
- Effective communications and interpersonal skills including the ability to write clear and concise documentation.
- Good decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to identify, develop and implement innovative and flexible approaches to support delivery.
- A high level of self-motivation together with a willingness to learn new skills.
- A flexible approach to the job.
- Can demonstrate exceptional levels of customer service and care.
- Strong time management and coordination skills.
- Willing to travel for work purposes
- A full driving license - preferably clean
As this role requires access to a high level of confidential information security checks will be completed at induction.
Internal training on products and services will be provided. However, staff are also expected to consistently keep abreast of new developments, which would impact on his/her areas of responsibility. Personal training in relation to job description will be given as part of the company's overall personnel development program.
Conditions of Employment Salary:
The salary and benefits for this position will be determined according to the experience of the person appointed.
The nominal working week is 37.5 hours, although a degree of flexibility is both offered and expected. In specific circumstances there may be a requirement to work additional hours. Annual holidays are 24 days plus 7 public holidays.