Advocate Lawyer Child Care - locations across Surrey, Sussex and Brighton & Hove
Child Protection Advocates (four posts) - up to £55,000
Orbis Public Law is the collaborative partnership of Brighton & Hove City Council, East Sussex, West Sussex and Surrey County Councils’ legal departments.
About the Role
We are entering an exciting phase of our partnership working by expanding our in-house advocacy team for child protection proceedings. This is an excellent opportunity for Advocates to work for a leading public sector legal partnership with an ambition to grow and provide excellent customer service.
We are looking for committed Advocates, with expertise in public law relating to child protection, who are prepared to work flexibly across the partnership to represent social work client departments in care proceedings. Offices are at Kingston, Chichester, Lewes and Brighton but Advocates may be based at home, working across locations and attending court (mainly Brighton Family Centre and Surrey Family Court sitting at Guildford) as required.
Advocates will have an excellent knowledge of care proceedings and the Public Law Outline and will be required to:
- provide confident advocacy for the applicant local authority at all levels and degrees of complexity;
- take responsibility for all matters related to the conduct of the hearing and of reporting actions and outcomes to the client and the relevant team lawyer;
- have a sound knowledge of precedent, relevant statute, rules of court, and be able to provide expert legal opinion and advice to assist in the timely progression of cases;
- demonstrate excellent communication and collaboration skills; and
- be able to work independently and within tight timescales.
Advocates will be a Solicitor or Barrister fully qualified to practise in England and Wales with a current practising certificate.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 07 July 2017.
Shortlisting will take place on 10 July 2017
Interviews will take place in the week commencing 17 July 2017.
Please note, if access to the GCSX (PSN) network is required for this role, a Basic Disclosure (DBS check) will be required to meet the Government Baseline Personnel Security Standards.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.