Trainee Financial Accountant
Trainee Financial Accountant - Shepton Mallet - £20,000 - £25,000 study support
About the role
We currently have a full-time permanent vacancy for a Trainee Financial Accountant to join the local government division. This role will suit someone, with good all round finance experience with good attention to detail and an aptitude for technical accounting. Experience of the local government sector would be advantageous. Excellent scope for development & career growth. This role has the opportunity to be based from home 2 days per week.
About Capita Local Government
Capita Local Government (CLG) is a division within Capita. We deliver a wide range of solutions and specialist services for public sector organisations. Responsibilities:
- Assist/lead the production of Statement of Accounts and supporting audit pack and liaising with auditors
- Interpretation and implementation of legislative changes
- Maintenance of the councils asset register including all necessary ledger entries (including but not limited to addition, revaluation, impairment, depreciation and disposal)
- Monitoring, reporting, forecasting and closing down the council's collection fund (Council Tax/Business Rates) and preparing the necessary financial statements/notes to accounts
- Reconciling and processing Pension Fund accounting entries in line with Actuary reports
- Managing the treasury investment and borrowing function on behalf of the council, ensuring that cash surplus investments or borrowings are made within limit and policy
- Assist/prepare annual treasury management strategy and mid-year/final reports
- Management of the workload and prioritising work to meet Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Ensuring balance sheet and bank reconciliations are completed and reviewed on time to meet contracted deadlines
- Review monthly VAT returns and annual partial exemption
- Completion and submission of government returns within deadlines
- Provide training and guidance to financial and non-financial stakeholders regarding accounting practices and legislative changes
- Assessing contracts and leases for IFRS implications
- Provide support for processing feeder/interface files the day they are received
- Administering the council's insurance policy, dealing with claims, liaising with insurers and ensuring insurance cover is adequate and renewed on a timely basis
- Any other reasonable requirements as requested by management
- AAT Qualified
- Well rounded experience within financial roles
- Wide/vast experience of reconciliations
- Ability to work in an organised manner and work to deadlines
- Experienced with MS Office suite, including knowledge of Excel to at least intermediate level
- Good attention to detail and problem solving
- Use of Agresso and/or Integra ERP system
- Local government experience
- Production of financial statements
- Fixed Assets/Capital accounting experience
- Treasury Management
- Collection Fund accounting experience
- Flexibility & willingness to travel on occasions
- Adaptable and pro-active, with positive outlook and attitude to change
- Well organised with ability to effectively prioritise and manage workloads of self and others
- Strong analytical skills with ability to prepare and improve upon systems and procedures
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.