Tech Innovation Manager
Do you have experience in real world IoT deployment activities and field testing or demonstration projects? Currently run a team of technologists? Maybe you have experience in rapid prototyping of IoT products and service innovation? Then maybe this is the team for you…
Our client, a fast growing innovation focussed company is looking for a Team Lead to manage their City Experimentation team, which is structured around technologists and experts in the field of urban innovation, IOT, VR/AR, and data platforms.
Ideas need to be tested and proved to ensure they become a reality - this role makes this happen… prototyping, testing, creating and running pilot projects, demonstration at various scales and supporting organisations and companies understand their ideas in a real world context is the core of the role and the function of the team. The team focuses its efforts on supporting companies by developing and testing innovative solutions to urban problems in real life environments. They also have a role in helping Cities recognise barriers and opportunities within their domain. The team utilises a cross sectional knowledge of emerging technologies, software development and internet of things to help innovators make ideas a reality.
These will be your main responsibilities:
Management - You will line manage a team of 3 initially but growing to about 8 (potentially more) people within the next year. We expect you to work closely with your colleagues. You will also interact with external collaborators, to ensure that our projects are transformational, meaningful and effective.
- Ensure standard operating procedures and project guidelines are in place,
- Allocate tasks, evaluate performance and set objectives for your Team,
- Effectively lead the Team, inspiring others to achieve goals through innovation, quality and excellence,
- Understand project requirements, coordinate with resources and direct the projects in the right direction in a timely manner,
- Make presentations on the status of the activities and the project pipeline, preparing monthly and annual reports.
- Deliver cutting edge work to our projects - you'll be helping shaping and working on several projects at any one time working closely with our Business Development and Project Management teams.
- Thought leadership - Our projects will develop cutting-edge thinking and practice. As well as making them happen, you'll develop our City Experimentation Capabilities and contribute to our knowledge base in collaboration with our Insight & Design team and Communications.
- Building productive networks - You'll be connected to the networks of developers and practitioners in various fields of technology, ensuring that we have access to cutting-edge research and methodologies. You'll communicate and disseminate our work, and actively contribute to the development of the domain by sharing our results and best practices.
- Broad commercial and academic experience, ideally including a startup or SME
- Track record in delivering innovation in an R&D/ innovation type environment
- Wide understanding of current technology debates in the area of IoT (and LPWAN in particular) around issues of interoperability.
- Excellent knowledge of technology testing methods and experience in using them in real-world projects.
- Knowledge of how to engage users in innovation processes.
- Experience in projects centred on urban challenges, technologies and places.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven leadership skills, running both teams and project delivery, including excellence in team-building and person management skills.
- Ability to match project tasks with opportunities for development so that employee potential is utilised to the maximum.
- Ability to guide the team through from the proof of concept stage to prototyping, design development, testing and deployment stages and review the completed work effectively.
- Minimum of seven years' experience in business, whether employed or self-employed, in large or small firms. Business development experience is desirable.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good at managing relations with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels, being approachable while persuasive.
- Ability to excel in a rapidly growing, fast-paced organisational setting.
- Demonstrable experience of leading product or service development projects which combine design and technology.
- Understanding of either the Insight and Design stages of product development or the commercialisation/ scaling of opportunities to commercial success
- Knowledge of urban strategies and policies.
Randstad Business Support is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.