IS Testing & Quality
Permanent Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
Salary up to £37K plus benefits
About the business
Our Clients accredited Information Systems department, is responsible for the delivery of key business critical IS services and improvement projects to support our award winning organisation.They are embarking on the implementation of a new IS Strategy, that involves the design and deployment of a new IT infrastructure and the procurement and implementation of an ERP application. You will be joining the department at an exciting time and will have an important role in the delivery of this strategy
About the role
As the IS Testing & Validation manager you will be responsible for all aspects of the activities required to ensure the appropriate testing of any new or changed IS service. Working closely with the wider Service Design & Transition team to provide strategies, plans and processes to achieve a smooth path through transition into support. Collaborating with the wider IS Delivery Unit to ensure the right test tools and software is in place to continuously improve our testing capabilities
- To participate and drive the testing of systems throughout the agile process.
- To drive and implement a comprehensive test strategy using appropriate testing tools and techniques.
- To introduce new practices and techniques to SLC whilst conforming to agreed standards.
- To facilitate knowledge transfers to other testers within the department.
- To identify the scope of testing including systems integration and regression testing. To apply test techniques to ensure coverage.
- To work with development to ensure a comprehensive and robust suite of automated tests from unit and integration tests to user journey tests.
- To identify data requirements to satisfy test cases and create and maintain test data.
- To ensure continuous exploratory/manual testing of each functional area/user story against different layers of the system such as the web service layer, user interface layer.
- To check outputs including screen, file and database updates to ensure system effectiveness.
- To ensure comprehensive test strategies are in place for non-functional areas such as performance and load.
- To ensure processes used within the team meet quality standards and champion the use of new practices where appropriate.
- To prepare documents for internal and external use to agreed standards.
- To discuss and review outputs produced by team members and ensure standards across the team are maintained.
- To demonstrate working functionality/user stories to the product owner and/or during team showcases.
- To provide input into user story points/estimates.
- To raise and escalate issues.
- To participate in team meetings including planning meetings, daily stand-ups and retrospectives.
- To keep up-to-date with emerging technologies.
- A further education qualification in a computer related discipline or demonstrable relevant practical experience.
- Proven track record of testing software developments in a structured environment preferably using java-developed web based systems.
- Demonstrate self development and recently undertaken learning (not specifically in the IT field).
- Ability to question team members and SMEs to discover details of proposed functionality, rather than gather all information from formal documentation. To then fully understand the scope of testing, including which business processes and system functions need to be included.
- Ability to test partially-completed functionality, understand what a defect is and what has not been implemented yet, and provide constructive feedback to developers.
- Experience of defect lifecycle and ability to advise on tests to put in place after fixes are made.
- Ability to work in a continually changing environment, adapting to changing requirements and priorities at short notice.
- Excellent understanding of test levels (from unit tests to UAT) and ability to advise the team on what to test (and what not to test) as part of a cohesive testing strategy.
- Sound technical skills; understanding of high-level system architecture components such as application servers, databases and web services. Understanding of basic programming constructs.
- Experience in one or more test frameworks and scripting automated functional tests.
- Experience of working from the command-line.
- Good team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interact and collaborate with people from development, business analysis, project management and SME disciplines.
- Experience working in an agile environment; iterations less than 4 weeks, design to delivery.
- Experience working on user stories and defining clear acceptance criteria.
- Working knowledge (or good understanding) of IDEs.
- Working knowledge (or good understanding) of code repositories and commit process (trunk concept) version control.
- Working knowledge (or good understanding) of continuous integration practices.
What you will receive
The package' includes competitive salaries, performance related pay, a contributory occupational money-purchase pension scheme with life assurance and long terms disability insurance, 25 days paid holiday a year - rising by 1 day per year up to 30 days, with the ability to purchase an extra 5 days, salary sacrifice schemes including cycle, car and childcare vouchers.
Call To Action
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up to date copy of your CV, or call us now. Please note that relevant experience is essential for this role.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career or if you know someone else who is suitable we offer a £500 refer a friend scheme.