Payroll Deputy Team Leader
Working closely with the Head of Pensions Payroll as prime day to day contact for a given portfolio of payroll clients to ensure provision of a high quality payroll service to both beneficiaries and Trustees. In addition, you will be expected to participate in strategic business changes, i.e. critical success factors, implement decisions made by the Board and Principals and understand the issues that affect the performance of the Company. As a professional services provider, employees are expected to follow clear procedures to ensure they operate accurately and efficiently. Your role is to ensure the administrators on your team have the knowledge and tools to do so, in conjunction with the Head of Pensions Payroll.
You will be involved in a wide range of pensioner payroll and management tasks. As Deputy Team Leader you will support the Head of Pensions Payroll in ensuring the payroll service delivery in terms of quality, profit and sustainability for a given portfolio of clients, as well as assisting in the day to day management of the designated team. Key responsibilities will include:
- Monthly updating and processing of pensioner payrolls
- Handling pensioner queries, and assisting with complex queries from payroll administrators
- Assisting pension scheme auditors, arranging audit visits and liaising between the client and auditor as required.
- Providing expert advice to clients and the payroll administrators within the team; keeping abreast of technical and legislative developments within the pensions industry and identifying the impact on Payroll. Ensuring that systems and processes are kept up to date for changing legislation, liaising with external suppliers
- Managing the in-house BACS bureau and ensuring ongoing accreditation
- Supervising and checking the work of payroll administrators, ensuring adherence to processes; follow up on errors that impact on teams outside of payroll
- Monitoring SLAs and statutory deadlines across all schemes on the team, flagging potential misses to the Head of Pensions
- Assisting the Head of Pensions Payroll with staff management responsibilities including conducting appraisals, setting individual and team objectives, handling HR issues and recruitment
- Ensuring the accurate updating of time recording system for both chargeable and non-chargeable activities, meeting required utilisation targets and ensuring more junior staff record chargeable hours correctly.
- Preparing and transmission of Year End HMRC returns
- Implementation of new payrolls
- Attending and actively contributing ideas to Deputy Team Leader meetings. Deputising at team leader meetings when necessary
- Disseminating information to teams at regular meetings, including technical updates
- Identifying any training needs across the team and assist with developing and mentoring team members.
- Supporting Head of Pensions Payroll in all aspects of team management, including performance issues and change control
To be successful in this role you must have significant previous payroll experience which involves the running of payrolls on a computerised system, balancing month-end and year-end returns, experience of Northgate Arinso payroll and expert knowledge of PAYE and other payroll legislation.
You will be a proficient user of Microsoft Word and Excel educated to a minimum of A Level or equivalent
Ideally you will have previous experience of managing a team including performance monitoring, appraisals, recruitment and work flow management
Office Angels is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.