Operational Head of Finance
Anthony Cole Associates are proud to be once again partnering with a global creative innovation agency that opens up opportunities for high profile clients to improve their success rates. Due to growth plans, they are looking for a highly talented operational Head of Finance who will be responsible for building and managing the finance & operations function. The Head of Finance is a highly business partnering focused role will work directly with the UK MD, CFO and senior management to deliver the agreed business plan. This role also supports Group finance leading the Group audit and group risk planning and review.
Key purpose of the Head of Finance and Operations
- Support the senior team in delivery of their Business Plan (this role sits on the UK Operational Board) - commercial nous is key
- Be the key point of contact and be responsible for all finance & operational matters
- Deliver robust and reliable financial and regulatory compliance, delivering rock solid and timely technical reporting
- Be the commercial partner to the creative and project management teams
- Introduce and enforce effective and efficient processes and systems
- Develop a finance & operations function that "pays own way" in cost saving and efficiency initiatives
- Coach and develop finance & operational delivery team - guiding non-financially trained people to deliver financial and operational objectives
- Support and deliver growth of 10% YoY and EBIT margins of 15%
- Support the building of a business capable of achieving a significant exit value
- Partner with the MD to provide strong commercial oversight and financial and scenario modelling as needed
- Create and deliver strong risk management and tax smartness
Essential Job Duties of the Head of Finance and Operations
- Responsible for all aspects of operational delivery, project efficiency and resourcing (utilisation and margins) - a specific target for this role will be to increase utilisation to an agreed level and deliver agreed project profitability margins
- Responsible for all financial admin and support functions - tax including VAT, property, insurance, payroll, benefits, pensions, regulatory compliance, risk review, legal contracts and employment law, trademarks
- Responsible for all financial accounting, controls and reporting including management accounting (estimated at 3 days a month), preparing support material for the monthly Operating Board Pack (including sales analysis), strategic forecasting and scenario modelling
- Responsible for benchmarking best practice (Key KPIs and behaviours) of a top quartile creative agency
- Providing leadership, as an individual contributor and manager for financial and managerial accounting, operational and compliance and risk management activities.
- Persuasive communication with client facing teams to ensure they comply with systems and procedures, help them deliver the agreed job profitability and generally help them take a commercial view procedures
- Helping the team assess commercial opportunities, review pricing and contribute to delivering client winning new business pitches
- Seeking out performance improvement and delivering agreed overhead and cost control
- Cash flow management and detailed cash flow forecasting - important in a 'lumpy’ sales environment
- Managing the effectiveness of systems (with IT Manager) Ensuring compliance with local statutory audit, R&D tax credit (other grants, tax saving opportunities)) and financial reporting requirements.
- Managing the accounting close process to meet reporting deadlines.
- Reviews schedules/analysis prepared by the accounting team, validating for compliance with local regulations and GAAP and company accounting policy.
- Prepares the international intercompany reconciliations and reviews with the accounting departments
- Researches and resolves accounting and business issues in coordination with senior management.
- Prepares the tax calculations, in coordination with CFO, and related disclosures for monthly, quarterly and yearly reports.
- Works with accounting department and the company’s external auditors to ensure timely execution of corporate financial statement reviews and annual audits.
- Seeks and implements process improvements in the financial and operational function.
- Responsible for Group compliance (not subsidiary compliance)
Qualifications & qualities of the Head of Finance and Operations
- An Accountancy qualification (ideally a Chartered Accountant) with at least 3 years PQE
- Can-do attitude, fun and down to earth
- Great communicator, driver of change and commercial nous - a team player
- Meticulous attention to detail and an obsession with quality
- Paprika system experience - bonus
- Experience of working in a creative agency and/or in a professional services or project driven environment would be ideal but not essential
- Previous international experience desirable
- There may be some limited travel to international offices (e.g. Netherlands, Canada, US)
The successful candidate will have the drive and ambition to want to provide senior commercial leadership and lead/manage all aspects of operations. You will be a qualified Accountant with a strong risk management and compliance background. They are looking for someone with very strong Excel and financial modelling expertise plus experience of assessing and implementing new IT systems. You will have experience working in an international small media/creative agency company with SME experience. This is an excellent opportunity to join a global growing company and help them grow and reach more clients in the world of innovation.
Our client offers a fun place to work with a great culture and supportive team values with a focus on personal growth. It is a company you can step up and develop expertise in a particular business area. They attract people who are driven, independently minded and looking for opportunities for growth and adaptable.