Contract: 6 Month Fixed-term Contract, Full-Time
Salary: £17,300 - £23,000
Location: County Hall, Chelmsford
Essex County Council is undergoing the largest transformation programme of its kind in the UK and technology is recognised as being strategically critical to this innovative and radical transformation. Information Services is at the forefront of delivering this technological change.
The Technician is likely to be part of a large, multi-skilled team working to resolve customer requests These may be received via the Service Desk, which supports over 10,000 customers and their ICT-related needs.
Job Purpose Summary:
The Technician will respond to customer requests received via telephone, email or self-service and provide assistance and solutions remotely, ensuring that requests are resolved effectively and customers are kept fully informed of their progress.
Depending on their skill level the Technician will provide first or second-line support to Service Desk customers or deal with Service Requests, where they will work from a catalogue of products including mobile phones, hardware and software requests or deal with simple requests that are not in the standard catalogue. Working as part of a large team, the Technician may also take on responsibility for managing some routine team tasks, such as scheduling staff rotas.
Role Specific Accountabilities:
- Ensure that customer Support Requests are responded to in a timely fashion, meeting the relevant service levels and targets.
- Ensure that all requests are accurately recorded. Where first contact resolution is not possible, ensure that the requests are passed to the appropriate teams.
- Analyse and clearly understand and document that the customer issue and identify the appropriate route for resolution within the service levels and targets set for the team.
- Own and manage customers' requests through to resolution or delivery or work closely with colleagues to pass requests on for resolution by staff with a different skill set, using existing processes and tools.
- Keep customers informed on the progress of their request.
- Recognise system failures or issues that may become a Major Incident and take action as required under existing processes.
- Arrange for the delivery of Catalogue IS Requests, ensuring full compliance with the request process and effective delivery of each ISR within the quoted timescales or service levels.
- Comply with IT security and data protection processes as required.
- Ensure accurate financial and billing information is collected and communicated as required.
- May be asked to work out of hours on a regular basis.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience of communicating with a wide range of people, proven ability to deal effectively with customers.
- Ability to analyse customer needs over the telephone and to make own decisions within prescribed process regarding the action to be taken
- Be highly self-motivated, able to maintain focus in a busy environment, with good attention to detail and a desire to ensure that a task is completed.
- Experience of working in a customer support team or service desk in a fast paced environment, ability to work to targets and deadlines.
- Have IT skill qualifications or equivalent evidence of significant IT skills, particularly Microsoft Office and Exchange E-mail applications and some understanding of IT infrastructure and network security.
- Should be working towards MCSA/MCSE 2000 (and upwards) and/or ITIL foundation qualification.
- Previous experience in using a help desk and/or call management system, ideally Hornbill SupportWorks and / or Siemens Call Manager Systems.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.