Books Manager - Gatwick Airport North Terminal
We are looking to recruit a Books Manager to join our team in Gatwick Airport North Terminal. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has the knowledge and a passion for books. You will work closely alongside and report directly in to the Store Manager of the terminal.
Managing a team of circa 8, the main purpose of your role is to grow and develop the business, taking every step to maximize the profitability of the store through your knowledge of the books market and driving sales. There are 5 stores with books and we are also opening a brand new books store in July! By recruiting and up skilling your team, you will support and develop them to increase productivity and ensure the bookstore achieves its key performance indicators.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in the UK's second largest airport!
Accountabilities of the Role
- Work closely with the Store Manager to review the stores profit & loss statement
- Communicate effectively with the Head Office Books team on a regular basis and take ownership of local decisions regarding books
- Ensure the book store meets business targets
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the latest book releases and be able to advise and make recommendations to customers
- Create a customer service led culture which is always striving to improve performance
- Ensure all staff deliver a professional, friendly service to all customers
- Maximise opportunities to drive sales and increase footfall
- Manage stock availability and ensure store is fully compliant
Requirements for the Role
- Proven books retail experience is essential for this role
- Passion for books together with up to date market knowledge
- Strong communication skills
- Previous experience of working to and achieving demanding targets within tight budgets
- Working knowledge of managing store profit & loss accounts
- Proven experience of managing a team's performance
- Lead by example on the shop floor, setting high standards for your team
Develop and Progress with Us
As an employee of WHSmith you will have the unique opportunity to undertake 'work based learning' training programmes which will enable you to gain a Nationally Recognised Qualification. WHSmith work in partnership with Lifetime to develop the knowledge and skills needed to move your career forward within our stores.
Why Join Us?
WHSmith is a household name as we have been established for over 200 years. Our company has grown from strength to strength and we now have over 615 high street stores and over 740 travel outlets at airports, train stations, hospitals and motorway service areas across the UK plus an online store; www.whsmith.co.uk.
Year on year we announce a strong set of financial results and have shown good profit performance across the Group in a challenging trading environment. In return for all your hard work and commitment you will receive comprehensive training and on-going support from your Area Manager. In addition to this, our excellent benefits package includes; 25 days holiday, generous staff discount* and annual performance related bonus*.
It all adds up to excellent career opportunities and the chance make a real impact on the Company's success. If successful, candidates will be required to obtain a valid passport, undertake a criminal record check and provide 5 years of continuous educational, professional or employment references. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it is with regret that we are unable to respond to all applications and therefore will only contact short listed candidates.
*after initial qualifying period.
"WHSmith values diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the Community"