Principal Mechanical Engineer
My client are Engineering the future they are an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. They employ 4,000 people across the UK with 2,000 based at their Edinburgh site. In addition to achieving Investors In People accreditation, they won the Queens Awards for enterprise and international trade. They are entering a period of expansion offering exciting opportunities to work at the forefront of technology. With a large proportion of their engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals.
Where will you find their work?
- Their technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon
- Their products help to return service men and women safely home to their families
- Their surveillance radar helps coastguards to save lives of people lost at sea
- They provided the perimeter security for the Commonwealth Games
- Their thermal camera was used in the BBC’s Winter Watch
An excellent opportunity has arisen in their mechanical area of the engineering function. This position would suit an Engineer with significant experience in the design of robust avionics equipment. Although the successful candidate will lead a Mechanical team, a good deal of the work will be focused on determining the optimum technical solution to ensure a robust and reliable product.
- Required to provide technical engineering support and guidance to his/her team as well as other people in the project group.
- Undertakes own project engineering activities as well as leading the allocation and deployment of team members workload.
- Sets targets, to measure progress and maintain effective cost and expenditure control within owned projects. (Reporting to project).
- Makes engineering decisions and mitigates technical risk within own sphere of responsibility and delegated authority.
- Personally coach and mentor other engineers.
- Support, build, integration, test and delivery of products through the complete lifecycle.
- Actively contribute to a culture of best practice sharing, knowledge exploitation and process improvement in order to develop longer term capability and expertise within the mechanical function and across the wider business.
- Translates customer requirements into clear mechanical design solutions and specifications.
- Operates as a locally acknowledged expert within mechanical discipline in order to ensure technical solutions are robust, innovative and in line with customer and company expectations.
- Monitor and report progress of mechanical solutions to time and cost constraints via project engineering Lead.