Network Engineer - Portishead, c£35-40k
Our client has enjoyed a huge increase in growth since the current management team took over in 2002.
Through organic sales growth and acquisition they are now a Tier 2 ISP with a full range of Voice, Data and Unified Communications products for businesses across the UK and into Europe.
A large recent multi-million pound investment has increased growth plans and as a result they have a number of growth generated vacancies.
The core architecture team, is the senior engineering team comprising of engineers, principal and senior, who concentrate on the design, development and management of the core network and its associated and underlying technologies.
The senior network engineer will be based at one of the network operations centre in Portishead and will report to the Group CTO, who in turn reports to the board.
The network service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is expected that, within reason, senior engineering staff will be available at any time to assist with major problems or network emergencies.
The main duties of the post are shown below:
- Being a service provider routing and switching expert in Cisco Nexus and Juniper technologies
- Troubleshooting issues related to the network infrastructure, hardware and applications
- Planning and designing - preparing requirement design document that clearly specifies requirements to suppliers
- Planning and liaising regarding network upgrades, with respect to network management platform and elements.
- Assisting with escalations as requested by the service desk, network engineers or management
Skills, knowledge and experience
Qualifications - Essential
- Degree (or equivalent) in scientific / technical subject
Qualifications - Desirable
Experience - Essential
- Demonstrable experience with a proven track record working in a networking engineering environment, in senior engineering role.
- Carrier Grade Ethernet, IP, and any scripting languages used in an operations environment
- Working in an operations environment
- Wide area networks and network planning
Skills - Essential
- Good organisational, communication, presentational and interpersonal skills - with the capability to communicate concisely and effectively equally well with fellow engineers, non-technical colleagues and with customers alike
- Ability to adapt to new situations and develop new skills, in relation to the position of senior network engineer.
- Self-motivation and determination with the proven ability to multi-task, organise and prioritise workload while having to work under pressure and to deadlines
In return a remuneration package of up to £35-40k + benefits is available