We are currently recruiting for an experienced Commis Chef to join our busy kitchen team. We are looking for enthusiastic people with an interest in food and a willingness to learn. You need to be a team player who enjoys cooking with locally produced ingredients and working in a fast paced environment. We'll offer you development and training to increase your knowledge and skills.
What it's like to work here
This Georgian Italianate mansion and 1800 acre parkland is one of the fastest developing sites in the East of England and our catering operation is part of that development.
Here at Ickworth we have three catering outlets across the estate, The West Wing café, Porters Lodge outdoor café and Squash Court Café. We also hold some exciting seasonal events including our famous BBQ at our annual wood fair.
We really understand the importance of locally, responsibly sourced ingredients which is why we have been awarded the Bronze-level Food for Life Catering Mark at Ickworth. As an organisation we are continually looking for ways to improve our sourcing standards, supply chain and food offer.
What you'll be doing
With your passion for food and your appetite to provide an exceptional service to your customers, you’ll work with the National Trust Cookbook framework to prepare delicious food. Using local produce is really important to us so we work closely with our garden teams and local farmers to make sure we use as much produce grown on site as possible. With your attention to detail you’ll ensure each dish is fresh, tasty and beautifully presented every time.
As a key member of our busy catering team you’ll make sure the team is working effectively to deliver great results at a fast pace. You’ll ensure our kitchens are presented to the highest standard and are compliant with all relevant legislation around food hygiene and COSHH. You may also be required, on occasions to supervise volunteers.
The National Trust ethos will always be at the forefront of your mind, and you will be proud to share our good work with our customers, you’ll look to minimise waste and maximise sales with new ideas so that the profit can be reinvested back into our conservation work.
We offer straight shifts, with no late evening work and are at our busiest during weekends and school holidays.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for someone to join our dedicated team to exceed our customer’s expectations with the delicious food we prepare and serve.
You need to be:
- Passionate about food
- A good team player
- Willing to learn
- Creative and proactive
- Customer focused with good communication skills
- Aware of Health & Safety compliance requirements
£16,000 to £17,000 (dependent on experience)
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking