Learning Support Assistant
Maple Walk is a happy, successful, and vibrant independent primary school for girls and boys aged 4-11, in North West London.
We are looking for a Learning and Personal Support Assistant to work on a one to one basis with a child with cerebral palsy who will be in Year 3 from September 2017. The purpose of the role is to support and assist with the child's physical needs so as to enable learning to take place.
The postholder will work term-time only, between the hours of 8:30am and 4pm (5 pm on two days) on school premises, and up to 6:30pm in the family home, or taking the child to physiotherapy sessions as required, for a total of 42 hours per week, for 37 weeks of the year. The postholder will be employed by the school during the day, and under a separate contract with the parents outside of school hours. The role has a combined salary of £20,500 p.a.
We are looking for a suitably experienced and/or qualified physiotherapist who can assist with the child's mobility, accessibility and integration, and use their professional skills to facilitate and encourage their overall development throughout the day. This role would suit a recent graduate who would like to gain more experience in paediatrics, or an individual with an interest in the field. You will be supported and supervised by a number of professionals and this is therefore a good opportunity to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Please note that this role is largely funded by Brent Local Authority and the continuation of the role is therefore subject to continued funding, as well as the child remaining a pupil of Maple Walk.
Please submit a copy of your CV. Potentially suitable applicants will be asked to complete an application form. The closing date is the 22nd June 2017. Interviews will take place week beginning 26th June 2017.
A full job description is available.
- A qualified or part qualified Physiotherapist or OT, or qualified by experience, or someone with an interest in this field.
- Good standard of Education to A’Level/Level 3, including GCSE English, Mathematics and Science Grade A-C, or equivalent, or qualified by experience for the right candidate.
- Ability to undertake some physical work, for example lifting and pushing equipment and aids, walking to and from the home /school/physio, and also swimming.
- Relevant Childcare qualification is desirable.
- Previous experience of working with a child, or children is desirable
- Ability to form a close working relationship with a child with specific needs on a one to one basis, in a calm and supportive manner, with an interest in the child’s needs and medical condition.
- Willingness to attend to a child’s personal needs, including assistance with going to the toilet, and lifting the child where required.
- Willingness and ability to take direction from the Classroom Teacher or Head Teacher, SENCO and external consultants
- Must have good communication skills both orally and in writing
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with parents
- To practice equal opportunities in all aspects of the role and around the work place in line with policy
- To understand the requirements of the school’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy and the personal responsibilities that this brings
- Ability to understand and accept the NMS vision and values, and be able to promote this.