Senior Electronic Engineer
Aston EyeTech Limited (AEL) is a rapidly growing start-up company is a developing innovative hardware and software solutions for the medical and ophthalmic industries world-wide, including the big name high street opticians and large providers of healthcare services. Our team consists of some of the leading engineers and academics in the ophthalmic industry. The AEL/University partnership has a track record of developing rapid solutions for our commercial and research partners. The team currently comprises 20 people - a mix of technical, management and quality assurance individuals -a focused, dynamic and highly motivated team that we firmly believe can make significant improvements to the delivery of eye health, clinical trials and the healthcare profession throughout the UK, Europe and beyond. We are currently providing technical solutions both in the hardware and software space for major players in the ophthalmic industry.
We are looking to expand our engineering team with a suitable electronics engineer to work on product development with a specialism towards opthalmic technology. Specifically we seek a talented individual who can work developing prototype and production medical devices throughout the full lifecycle of design, production, testing, certification and commercialisation of such devices.
The job holder will be responsible for the ownership of a development project related to a specific device working in the company’s R&D team under the supervision of the chief technical officer and the company’s technical specialists. The job holder will be responsible for all aspects of the project, from initial investigation and concept development right though to product launch. The role is a mixture of mechanical/electronics engineering and research and development. The job holder will also be responsible for the leadership of a 3 man technical team reporting directly the head of engineering or CTO.
- As part of a collaborative R&D team with leadership responsibilities, develop concepts and prototypes of electro-mechanical, electronic and electro optical assemblies of medical devices with a specialism towards ophthalmic technology.
- Take scientific concepts and apply them to physical devices
- Develop and document mechanical designs using CAD tools
- Develop control and testing systems/software/algorithms for prototypes
- Design for manufacture and assembly, including cabling design
- Ensure the devices meet required safety and regulatory requirements as appropriate and all documentation requirements
- Use rapid prototyping/rapid manufacturing for interactive design development
- Work with clinicians and scientists for clinical trials of products
- Be able to produce professional engineering drawings, bills of materials and specifications for suppliers and sub-contractors
Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum of a PhD in a technical discipline and specific specialisation in Biomedical Engineering and a BSc/BEng or equivalent in electronics engineering.
- Must have significant experience in ophthalmic technology, embedded systems and electronics with latest 5 years of experience in a related field.
- Able to use scientific principles and methods to understand, test, and resolve technical problems that may lie beyond the normal scope of day to day engineering and a high degree of mathematical acumen
- High degree of mechanical/electronic aptitude and hands-on ability, attention to detail and sense of urgency.
- Ability to understand technical drawings, technical documentation and data sheets
- Highly proficient in ATMEL Studio and Proteus Design Suite and ability fully document the operation principles for the software and regulatory teams.
- Proficient with Solidworks CAD package
- Ability to work closely with other engineers with complimentary skillsets
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping and rapid manufacturing techniques
- Proficient with Windows IOT platforms.
- Understand that working in small teams requires flexibility and often the ability to take on multiple roles.
- The ability to research and source parts and components independently and work with the company’s approved suppliers
- Ability to work within regulatory frameworks and processes
- You will be expected, with support, to learn and apply new skills.
- Passionate about science and engineering
- Can work both in a team but also individually with significant self-motivation.
- Can handle pressure and time management issues in a fast paced environment.
- Creative and flexible.
- Self-starter that can read between the lines.
- Comfortable in a start-up environment and excited by it.
- Interested in the medical profession and providing healthcare.
- Has a strong work ethic with long term goals.
- Early riser
- Sense of urgency
Job Closes 04/07/17