Engineering Team Lead
Engineering Team Lead
Salary: £80.000 - £95.000
Trainline is UK’s leading online provider of rail tickets and journey planning, setting the pace in web & mobile rail-commerce. Our engineering teams build the soul of our product and are vital to our success. We are now looking for an Engineering Team Lead to join our backend team with a focus on the B2B platform.
The role of an Engineering Team Lead is all about being a pillar of excellence in your team when it comes to software development patterns and practices. A champion of the C# & .Net technical stack, you will be both hands-on writing code & looked to for guidance and expertise, supporting your team and peers with your technical insights. We truly believe in leading by example, so first and foremost, you need to be an experienced engineer, respecting SOLID engineering principles and coding practices.
You will also support your team by advocating and increasing adoption of XP principles, mentoring and developing their technical skills through pair programming, demonstrating, and most importantly building working software. As a leader in your team, you will also engage, support and participate in discussions with peers, make sure the team’s morale welfare, support them in finding their career paths.
You will join a highly skilled development team, building and delivering software. Use agile practices like pair programming, code reviews, IPM’s, continuous integration & delivery, TDD & BDD.
We focus on continuously improving our capabilities, architecture and process as a team. We encourage our technical staff to blog about technical innovation on Trainline’s engineering blog and to contribute code to the open source community.
The role comprises of both hands on coding and, hands off, team management elements, focusing on code, craft and mentoring.
Hands-on you will:
- Be responsible for the Technical Delivery of your team in an iterative, Agile fashion. (e.g. Scrum, XP, Lean)
- Be responsible for engineering team to provide products that enable companies to combine Trainline capabilities to their own systems through API’s for system integration.
- Track the progress that team members are making and transparently communicate that progress externally.
- Take ideas and requirements from multiple sources and ensure they get turned into well-defined tasks that are ready to be worked on by software developers.
- Balance competing priorities and maintain a prioritized backlog of work for the team.
- Ensure that everyone in your team keeps to agreed processes, standards and designs.
- Ensure you and others continuously improve by proposing and implementing new processes, designs and engineering practices that make your team more effective.
- Take responsibility for supporting your changes all the way through to proving that they work well in production.
As well as responsibility for the technical implementations and throughput of your team, you're responsible for the overall health of your team and the people in it. You'll need to:
- Hold regular 1-2-1 meetings with every member of your team; at least every 2 weeks.
- Agree personal objectives for team members, and then provide support to help them to be met, as well as tracking and reviewing progress.
- Generate enthusiasm and a sense of pride within your team for the both product features you build and the engineering skills you apply to problems.
You will be part of a great cross-functional team with all the skills necessary to deliver the product end to end (product owner, business analysis, developer, QA & operations skills)
Knowledge & Experience
What experience are we looking for:
- Leading experience of a team of software developers
- Understanding of travel management operation systems
- Experience of working with and consuming API’s provided by GDS
- Experience of working with API’s provided by online booking tools
- Designing and developing systems for both high availability and scalability.
- Performance profiling and tuning of .NET code.
- Writing automated tests (both unit and integration tests), BDD, TDD.
- C#, ASP.Net, MVC, WebAPI, .NET Core. Node.js
- AWS Cloud experience would be a big bonus.
- Linux, Docker
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- Knowledge of design patterns (MVP, MVVN, MVC, etc.) and engineering best -practices.
- Applying problem solving skils to technical issues
What We Offer
25 days holiday, life assurance, Season Ticket loan, pension contributions, medical and dental insurance (subject to qualifying periods).
Company Detailed Overview
Trainline is a pioneering tech company with a mission to make train travel easy. We’re proud to be Europe’s leading independent retailer for 48 train companies, helping our customers make more than 100,000 journeys every single day in & across 24 countries in Europe. That’s more than £2.3 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 45 million visits to our apps and websites per month.
Application deadline: 4th July 2017