Barclay Meade have partnered with a global and leading manufacturing company based in Guildford to find an experienced Buyer / Senior Buyer to join their procurement function.
My client, with offices based globally, are seeking an MCIPS qualified (or working towards) Buyer / Senior Buyer provide technical and commercial leadership for the purchase of specified commodity items to meet set targets. This will involve working cross functionally to lead cost reduction and value engineering projects.
Location - Guildford
Salary - £35,000 - £45,000
Key Responsibilities for the Buyer / Senior Buyer -
* Lead cost reduction and value engineering projects in line with specific targets set.
* Develop detailed knowledge and understanding of supplier manufacturing and sourcing processes used to produce specific purchased materials and commodities.
* Identify cost drivers in engine systems, sub systems and components. Develop action plant to optimise product costs accordingly.
* Provide technical expertise on specific purchased powertrain materials/commodities. Liaise closely with vehicle design engineering on system integration.
* Lead cross-functional cost reduction/valve improvement incorporating engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, quality management, sales and marketing.
* Ensure supplier specification and drawing control for specified commodity.
* Ensure part number addition and change control for specified commodity.
* Provide approval/control for supplier selection.
* Select suppliers and estimate costs at early stages of product design and development.
* Develop and utilise supply market intelligence for ADL commercial gain.
* Maximise supplier competition and collaboration opportunities as appropriate.
* Design and implement RFQ's, tenders and auctions as appropriate.
* Lead supplier commercial negotiations for specified commodities.
* Develop commodity strategy for each supply category.
* Develop risk management strategies for specific commodities.
* Maintain and develop relationships with all key stakeholders.
* Ensure effective supplier performance.
Key skills/qualifications/experience needed for the position of Buyer / Senior Buyer -
- Possess cost and value engineering (CVE) skills to contribute to increase the competiveness and profitability of our products and engine solutions.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of cost analysis and optimisation, design to value, modularisation and standardisation, supplier productivity improvements and target pricing/target costing, in collaboration with our partners from the vehicle platform management, project management, engineering research & development, quality assurance and production functions.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of procurement and commodity management - including sourcing, commercial negotiation, supplier management and global sourcing is required.
- Excellent supplier relationship management skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Familiar with TCO models and principles.
- Good working knowledge of Materials MRP/ERP Systems
- 5 years' experience in a similar role, preferably within a mechanical field
- Some travel may be required at various locations mainly in the UK but on occasion internationally too.
If you are an experienced Senior Buyer with a background in mechanical/engineering procurement, then please apply below.
To apply for this position, candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK