Finance Trustee for The Physiological Society
About The Physiological Society
The Physiological Society (‘The Society’) is seeking to broaden the skills and diversity of its committed Council of Trustees (‘Council’) and is looking to appoint an external Trustee with financial expertise.
Physiology is the science of life. It is a broad science that aims to understand the mechanisms of living, from the molecular basis of cell function to the integrated behaviour of the whole body.
We bring together scientists from over 60 countries. Since The Society’s foundation in 1876, our members have included numerous Nobel Prize winners from Ivan Pavlov (1904) to John O'Keefe (2014). We promote physiology and support those working in the field by organising world-class scientific meetings, publishing the latest developments in our leading scientific journals: The Journal of Physiology, Experimental Physiology and Physiological Reports, and by offering grants for research, teaching, collaboration and international travel.
The new Trustee will come from a finance background and be able to provide advice on aspects of our key financial issues such as investments, property, risk and financial controls. We are looking for the following attributes:
- A qualified/accredited professional with significant experience and knowledge of financial management and an understanding of issues affecting the not for profit sector
- An understanding of and commitment to the responsibilities of a company director and charity trustee according to the law and ethical standards of the UK and the Charity Commission
- Ability to provide strategic guidance and support to enable The Society remain viable and sustainable
- Commitment to the values and objectives of The Society
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Evidence of effective teamwork, achieving positive outcomes within a senior team
- Proven successful leadership at a senior level
- Ability to act with integrity and in the best interest of The Society, avoiding any personal conflicts of interest and ensuring the proper use of charity funds and assets
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills e.g. quick thinking, open minded, able to persuade others and represent the charity externally as an ambassador and influencer for the organisation
The Trustee Council meets around five times a year, normally at our London office (Hodgkin Huxley House, 30 Farringdon Lane, London EC1R 3AW). The new Trustee will also be a member of the Finance Committee (four half-day meetings a year). We provide in-house and external training.
The Trustees are responsible for the overall governance, performance and strategic direction of the organisation. With a strong senior leadership team in place, we have been reviewing our governance structure and wish to develop a balanced and diverse board to improve the effectiveness of Council. This is a great opportunity to join a forward thinking organisation seeking to promote physiology globally. The scope and range of our activities are both challenging and highly rewarding.
We also promote and facilitate good educational practice by hosting teaching workshops and running events for the general public on how physiology relates to everyday life, and for schools and students who may be considering physiology as a career.
We are committed to equality and diversity and we encourage expressions of interest from all communities and backgrounds. As such we particularly welcome applications from those traditionally under-represented on trustee boards.
How to apply
All applications will be made to Reach Volunteering in the first instance. Your application will include a CV, cover letter and two references. Application deadline: 22 Feb 2017
This voluntary Trustee position is unpaid, although reasonable out of pocket expenses while fulfilling these duties will be reimbursed.
Apply for Finance Trustee for The Physiological Society
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly